Coastal management is one of the important components for the islands of Maldives. Coastal management is a serious issue in Maldives as the small islands of Maldives are vulnerable to damage from natural and man made causes. This is particularly a problem in small islands than larger islands. Coastal management is of great importance to the tourism industry, namely resorts as the owners are faced with the dilemma of providing all year round beaches without compromising engineering structures. For the inhabited islands, the same problem exists and the problem is worse due to limited budgets available for coastal management unlike a resort island.
|An eroding beach, one of the biggest issues faced today.|
Coastal management is all about managing the coastline in harmony with development. The biggest challenge in coastal management is finding a solution without compromising hard engineering structures. However, this is not always possible as soft engineering alone cannot provide the best solution as a management option.
Our team of experts rely on state of the art equipments and the latest technologies to come up with solutions that will protect and preserve the coastline using a combination of both soft and hard engineering solutions. We have provided solutions for various tourist resorts in the form of coastal management studies, soft and hard engineering solutions as well as advising on many other aspects. Our consultancy eventually leads to practical solutions such as construction of groyns, break water, sea walls, beach nourishment and other methods to manage the coastline in harmony with the development.
|A typical schematics of a coastal protection plan that utilizes a combination of both soft andhard engineering to mange a dynamic coastline.|
Coastal management solutions currently provided by us are specifically focused on each client’s requirements. At present we provide the following services under coastal management:
• Assessing the best possible options for a given island.
• Developing coastal management plans.
• Design of groynes, breakwaters, headlands, sea walls, revetments and advising on their construction methods and best materials to use.
• Developing detail methodologies for beach nourishment including identification of best sediment borrowing areas, pumping requirements, what equipments to utilize and work methods.
• Harmonizing and timing coastal works with different months of the year.
• Obtaining all required permits for coastal works such as temporary nourishments or others.
• Forecasting erosion and assessing vulnerable erosion areas.
Before beach nourishment
After beach nourishment